Messi on the move?
This week’s most high-profile story in the footballing world has, of course, been the future of Lionel Messi.
The Argentine, now 33, looks to have finally had enough of the current downward spiral FC Barcelona are in.
The Spanish powerhouse’s recruitment has been fairly woeful for the last five or so years with an argument to be made that their last decent transfer window was the summer of 2014 when they snapped up Luis Suarez and Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
What has followed since has largely been the Catalonians spending big money on players who simply haven’t worked out yet. Ousmane Dembele, Phillipe Coutinho and Antoine Griezmann are just a few names that spring to mind.
And in the last few seasons, Barca’s failures in the market have finally began to show, most notably in the Champions League were they have endured a number of embarrassing defeats in the last few campaigns.
The latest of these, which looks to have been the tipping point for Messi, was an 8-2 drubbing over 90 minutes vs Bayern Munich earlier this month.
Less than two weeks after said defeat, it was reported that Messi had informed the Barca board he wishes to depart the Camp Nou.
Barcelona’s Argentinian forward Lionel Messi reacts after Bayern Munich’s third goal during the UEFA Champions League quarter-final football match between Barcelona and Bayern Munich at the Luz stadium in Lisbon on August 14, 2020. (Photo by Manu Fernandez / POOL / AFP) (Photo by MANU FERNANDEZ/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
Man City will not part with key stars
Such news seemingly put a host of top clubs around Europe on notice, including the likes of Manchester City and PSG.
However, as well as reportedly being on a simply mammoth wage, there is also the issue of a potential fee for the Argentine.
In his current contract, Messi is understood to have a clause that would allow him to leave for free at the end of the season, providing he gives the club enough notice.
In a normal campaign, Messi is reportedly supposed to do so in May and this year Barca believe he should have done so in June.
With Barca seemingly taking this stance for the time being, it appears clubs will have to fork over some form of a fee to land the forward.
And with is hard to see any side paying Messi’s reported €700m release clause, other avenues of payment have instead been touted.
One of which has seen it claimed that Man City are ready to offer cash, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva and Eric Garcia for Messi.
However, said claims appear to be largely untrue.
As per a report from The Times on Saturday, City are not prepared to include Bernardo Silva, Riyad Mahrez or Gabriel Jesus in any swap deal for Messi.
Barca are said to be particularly keen on the latter of that trio as a replacement for Luis Suarez.
It is also added that the Sky Blues remain the frontrunners to sign the Messi, with other possibilities for cash-plus-player deals, including Eric García and Angelino, not ruled out.
Messi on the move? This week’s most high-profile story in the footballing world has, of course, been the future of Lionel Messi. The Argentine, now 33, looks to have finally had enough of the current downward spiral FC Barcelona are in. The Spanish powerhouse’s recruitment has been fairly woeful for the last five or soFootball (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals – Feed