Carlo Ancelotti has this afternoon moved to shoot down speculation surrounding a potential summer exit from the club for James Rodriguez.
James back in form
Colombian international Rodriguez of course made the move to Goodison Park last summer.
On the back of another testing season on the books of Zinedine Zidane’s Real Madrid, during which he struggled for game-time, the 29-year-old opted to try his hand in the Premier League for the first time.
And the months since, in turn, have proven largely positive.
Rodriguez has slotted into Everton’s midfield with ease, adding some much-needed guile to Carlo Ancelotti’s ranks.
All told, to this point, the talented South American has racked up 5 goals and 7 assists in 20 outings across all competitions:
James Rodriguez 2020/21 stat update:
Games: 18
Goals: 5
Assists: 7
Pre-assists: 11
Idea balls: ∞ 😏Another major impact from @jamesdrodriguez. 🎯 pic.twitter.com/RM73V3x4pk
— Everton (@Everton) February 7, 2021
‘No problem’
As such, it came as something of a surprise when, somewhat out of the blue, speculation began to spread across the European media earlier this week that James is in fact ‘unhappy’ in England.
Such rumours originated in Spain, with Defensa Central, citing sources close to the midfielder himself, having suggested that Everton’s star man was becoming increasingly frustrated with all of the ‘weather, customs and physical football’.
In turn, it was even claimed that Rodriguez is already eyeing up a summer return to La Liga.
James Rodriguez | In developments we could all have forecast, there’s a claim James Rodriguez is sick of the weather and fancies a return to Spain.
Looks like mischief making for now. https://t.co/lHnCtDlMPE #efc #coyb
— Sport Witness (@Sport_Witness) February 16, 2021
It therefore came as little surprise when, speaking during a press conference this afternoon, Carlo Ancelotti was drawn on the speculation surrounding his key creator.
The Everton boss, however, was quick to shoot down claims of unhappiness on Rodriguez’s part, assuring that the 29-year-old remains ‘happy’ at Goodison Park:
‘Oh he’s ok, he has no problem.’
‘I talk to him every day, he’s happy here. He’s confident, motivated.’

MALLORCA, SPAIN – OCTOBER 19: James Rodriguez of Real Madrid CF looks on during the Liga match between RCD Mallorca and Real Madrid CF at Iberostar Estadi on October 19, 2019 in Mallorca, Spain. (Photo by Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)
‘He had a little problem in the last few games with his calf, but now he’s in a good condition. He really feels good here because everyone takes care of him and that’s it.’
‘I don’t know if he complains about the weather, but we know it’s not the best weather ever! But there are a lot of things good in this area.’
On James’ fitness ahead of tomorrow’s Merseyside derby, Ancelotti added:
‘He had a knock [versus City] and he was not fit 100 per cent.’
‘No, he’s not 100 per cent, but he’s 99%.’
Quotes via Goal
Carlo Ancelotti confirms that Dominic Calvert-Lewin & Allan have returned ahead of Liverpool
Klopp says Alisson is fine and gives injury updates prior to Everton derby clash
Carlo Ancelotti has this afternoon moved to shoot down speculation surrounding a potential summer exit from the club for James Rodriguez.James back in formColombian international Rodriguez of course made the move to Goodison Park last summer.On the back of another testing season on the books of Zinedine Zidane’s Real Madrid, during which he struggled forFootball (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals – Feed