A number of altogether contrasting claims surrounding a potential Manchester United move for Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele have emerged online on Tuesday.
French wide-man Dembele made the move to the Camp Nou in the summer of 2017.
The Blaugrana splashed out a hefty €105 million (plus a potential 40 million in bonuses) to secure Dembele’s signature from Borussia Dortmund, in the wake of Neymar’s record-breaking move to PSG.
However, the attacker has since struggled to replicate the output of his predecessor, with a combination of injury problems, competition for places and questions over his attitude having seen Dembele, to this point, fail to repay Barca’s faith.
In the former Rennes man’s defence, the aforementioned fitness issues endured during his time in Catalunya have proven nothing short of staggering.
After the Frenchman picked up the latest in a series of hamstring injuries in February, Barcelona confirmed that their struggling winger had been ruled out for 6 months.
This, as subsequently calculated by the reliable Transfermarkt, means that, upon his return to the pitch, Dembele looks set to have missed somewhere in the region of 80 fixtures since completing his move to Barcelona 3 years ago.
Old Trafford links
The 23-year-old’s widely-publicised struggles during his time in Spain have therefore inevitably resulted in speculation that the Blaugrana could simply attempt to cut their losses, by moving Dembele on to the highest bidder.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is also known to be a long-term admirer of Dembele’s talents.
As outlined above, however, it is yet another of the Premier League’s giants who have today seen themselves freshly linked with the French international.
The outfit in question? Manchester United.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and co. are known to be on the lookout for reinforcements out wide this summer, but have thus far seen their attempts to thrash out a deal for first-choice target Jadon Sancho fail to bear fruit.
The Red Devils have, as a result, been forced to look elsewhere, with a swoop for Dembele, in turn, touted by Duncan Castles of the Daily Record.
It is claimed that negotiations have been opened between the Premier League powerhouse and Barcelona, over the possibility of a deal for the explosive winger.
The issue, however, comes in the formula of any potential transfer.
Manchester United are said to be keen on the idea of bringing Dembele to Old Trafford on loan.
Barca could be open to such an avenue, but only if an obligation to buy is included come the end of the campaign, with the transfer chiefs in Manchester understandably hesitant to commit to such terms.
— Duncan Castles (@DuncanCastles) September 22, 2020
Significantly, however, on the back of Castles’ detailed report coming to light, further claims have since surfaced, completely shutting down suggestions of talks between Barcelona and United.
The information comes courtesy of transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, who assures that both clubs have denied claims of discussions surrounding Dembele.
The player himself, meanwhile, is said to be keen to remain at the Camp Nou for the season ahead:
Liverpool asked for Ousmane Démbélé on loan with buy option on last June, but he decided to stay at Barcelona. There’s no bid from Manchester United – because Démbélé doesn’t want to leave Barça. #MUFC and #FCB both denying talks. 🔴 #transfers #Dembele
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) September 22, 2020
A number of altogether contrasting claims surrounding a potential Manchester United move for Barcelona star Ousmane Dembele have emerged online on Tuesday. Barca struggles French wide-man Dembele made the move to the Camp Nou in the summer of 2017. The Blaugrana splashed out a hefty €105 million (plus a potential 40 million in bonuses) toFootball (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals – Feed