Altogether contrasting reports surrounding Edinson Cavani’s plans for next season have surfaced in the South American media on Monday.
Veteran hitman Cavani was of course one of a number of arrivals at Old Trafford last summer.
The Uruguayan linked up with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men as a free agent, following the expiration of his contract with PSG.
Cavani was initially viewed as something of a panic addition by some, with the 34-year-old having arrived on deadline day, hinting that he was likely far from first-choice.
The months since, however, for the most part, have seen Cavani go on to prove himself a success.
The hitman has added another dimension to United’s attack, in acting as a more orthodox centre-forward option than the roaming Anthony Martial.
All told, Cavani has racked up 6 goals and 2 assists across 18 Premier League appearances.
Staying or going?
Despite his solid stint in England to date, however, it has long remained unclear what Cavani’s future holds beyond the coming summer.
This comes with the former Napoli man having put pen to paper on a one-year deal, containing the option for a 2nd.
When drawn on whether or not he expects Cavani to still be a part of his squad next season during an interview last month, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer explained:
‘I can only say Edinson has done well.’
‘I’ve been impressed by him. He’s really gelled in the group and we’ll sit down with him and speak with him of course in the near future to see his plans and our plans.’
‘It’s a good discussion to [have]. We always speak to the players and with his contract situation at the moment we’re very pleased with what he’s done.’
And, as outlined above, a further update on the situation, on Monday, has been forthcoming. The news, however, has not exactly done much to clear up the uncertainty surrounding Cavani’s plans.
This comes on the back of claims stemming from Argentine outlet Ole, which went as far as to assure that the striker has come to a definitive decision on his future.
It was claimed that the current campaign will mark Cavani’s last in Europe, with a move to Argentinian giants Boca Juniors being eyed:
‘In July he’s at Boca, that’s the idea’, a source close to the veteran is said to have revealed.
Edinson Cavani | “That’s it… he’s decided” – Manchester United striker’s entourage expect summer move to Boca Juniors.
— Sport Witness (@Sport_Witness) March 8, 2021
Such speculation, however, has since been firmly shut down elsewhere.
Just hours after Ole’s claims surfaced online, a further report, on the part of the reliable TyC Sports, revealed that Cavani is in fact primed to imminently commit his future to Manchester United.
The Uruguayan is said to have ‘no intention’ of making the move to Argentina, with a meeting scheduled over the weeks ahead to finalise the extension of his terms at Old Trafford.
Contrary to reports, Edinson Cavani has no intention of moving to Argentina and is close to renewing his contract with #mufc. In the coming weeks a meeting is scheduled to close the deal to renew for another season #mulive [@TyCSports]
— utdreport (@utdreport) March 8, 2021
Altogether contrasting reports surrounding Edinson Cavani’s plans for next season have surfaced in the South American media on Monday.Reds stintVeteran hitman Cavani was of course one of a number of arrivals at Old Trafford last summer.The Uruguayan linked up with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men as a free agent, following the expiration of his contract withFootball (soccer) greatest goals and highlights | 101 Great Goals – Feed